Armenian Bean and Walnut Pâté
Boston chef Ana Sortun is gaining renown for her "Arab-esque" cuisine--for its strong flavors, its exotic accents and (most surprising of all) its delicious and satisfying vegetarian dishes.
1 cup dried red kidney beans (6 ounces) –
picked over, soaked overnight and drained,
or use 2 1/2 cups canned red kidney beans,
rinsed and drained.
1/2 small white onion, minced
1 bay leaf
6 cups water
3/4 cup walnuts (3 ounces)
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced dill
1 Tablespoon minced basil
1 Tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper
Armenian string cheese
baguette slices or torn pita, for serving
MAKE AHEAD: The pâté can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. SERVES: 8
Quesillo en Salsa Verde
If you arrive for breakfast at the refined La Olla
Restaurant & Bar, head to the rooftop dining area,
where you can survey the city as you dine in the shade of an umbrella. No
matter what you order, be sure to try the cheese with green salsa, which is
served with fresh, homemade tortillas. When you're done with your feast, you
can walk to the historic
2 cups water
1 1/4 pounds tomatillos, husked, rinsed
1 jalapeńo chile, stemmed, halved, seeded
1/3 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large white onion, sliced
3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon sugar (You can use more or less sugar,
depending on the acidity of the tomatillos)
1 1/2 pounds queso
Warm corn tortillas
· Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatillo sauce.
· Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
· Mix in broth, then sugar; season sauce with salt and pepper.
· Heat heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cheese and cook until slightly browned, about 1 minute per side.
· Bring tomatillo sauce to simmer. Add cheese to sauce and cook until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes.
· Transfer cheese with sauce to shallow platter or divide cheese and sauce among 6 individual gratin dishes. Serve with tortillas.
*Note: Melting cheese available in balls, braids, or rounds. It is sometimes labeled queso asadero or queso chihuahua. If unavailable, substitute mozzarella or Monterey Jack.
Servings: Makes 6 servings.