Wednesday, June 18, 2003
FOOD | Page C3
Spicy tofu in ginger-apricot sauce
1 pound firm tofu, cut into cubes
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (from an Asian market)
6 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 cup vegetable broth
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons apricot jam
dark sesame oil
1. In a bowl, combine the tofu, cornstarch, garlic, salt, and pepper;
2. Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet. Add the oil. When it is hot,
cook the ginger and chili sauce for 30 seconds.
3. Carefully add the tofu and stir gently. Add the mushrooms, bell
pepper, and broth.
4. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the soy sauce, apricot jam, and a few drops of sesame oil.
Cook for 30 seconds and serve with rice or noodles.
from: Saigon Memories: A Cookbook
Bich Nga Burrill
© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.