Shrimp and Edamame Rotini
Edamame ups the protein content of this dish while adding color and a slightly nutty flavor.
8 ounces dry whole wheat rotini or whole wheat blend rotini,
such as fiber-enriched Barilla PLUS (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 can diced tomates (15 ounces)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rotini in a large saucepan according to the package directions.
2. Add the edemame for the last five minutes of cooking. When the pasta and edamame are done, drain and return to the saucepan.
3. While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Add the shrimp and cook over high heat for 1 minute per side.
5. Add the diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
6. Combine the shrimp mixture with the cooked pasta and edamame. Toss with the Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 5 servings.
PER SERVING: Calories: 486, Protein: 43g, Carbohydrate: 58 g, Dietary Fiber: 10 g, Total Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 180 mg, Calcium: 214 mg, Sodium 537 mg.
Source: The Best Life Diet
By Bob Greene
Simon & Schuster, 2006