Makes 2 braided loaves.
2 cups rye flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 Tablespoons RapidRiseTM yeast
1 Tablespoon caraway seed
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup milk
1 cup plain yogurt (8 ounces)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup molasses
· In a large bowl, combine rye flour, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, caraway seed, and salt.
· Heat milk, yogurt, water, butter and molasses until very warm (120° to 130° F). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scapring bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
· Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
· Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 18-inch rope. Braid 3 ropes together. Repeat with the remaining 3 ropes.
· Place braids on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
· Bake at 375° F for25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
Source: Fleischmann’s Yeast