Potato Salad Almondine
Re-inventing the classic summer salad.
1 pound small new potatoes
1/2 pound haricots verts
1 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 lemons, juice of
2 shallots, minced
salt (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
4 large eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
paprika for garnish
1. Boil potatoes until a knife comes out clean when inserted into skin.
2. Trim ends of the haricots verts and blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water. Remove and place in ice water to stop them from cooking.
3. Toast almond slivers until light brown.
4. Whisk together vinegar, oil, lemon juice, shallots, mustard and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
5. Mix thoroughly with the potatoes, haricot verts, almonds, and parsley.
6. Place quartered eggs on top of salad.
7. Sprinkle with paprika, sea salt and pepper over the top, specifically seasoning the eggs.
Recipe by chef John Fraser of Dovetail restaurant in New York City
May 18, 2008