Passover Stuffed Peppers
3 red bell peppers
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
˝ teaspoon sea salt
1 ˝ cups water
˝ cup pistachio nuts, shelled and toasted
3 onions, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon parsley, minced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and gently remove insides, leaving the stems attached.
3. Sprinkle insides of peppers with a bit of salt and place face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, remove and set aside.
4. In a small pot, bring to a boil quinoa, water and 1/4 tsp. of the salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until water is almost fully absorbed (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. In a large pan, combine oil and onions and sauté at a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are a golden color. Add 1/4 cup water and continue cooking until onions are caramelized. Add more water as needed.
6. Mix quinoa with pistachios, about 1/3 of the caramelized onion and salt/pepper to taste.
7. Stuff each half pepper with 1/2 cup of the quinoa mixture and top with 1 Tbsp. of caramelized onion. Bake for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top of peppers and serve.
Note: Zucchini or acorn squash can be used instead of the peppers.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: The Organic Kosher Cookbook by Aviva Allen