with Strawberry Sauce
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1 cup matzah meal
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
oil for frying
strawberry sauce (see recipe below)
1. Heat the milk and add to the matzah meal. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs and add to the matzah meal mixture, together with the maple syrup and the salt.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Drop the mixture in by tablespoonfuls and fry on both sides.
4. Serve with butter and with strawberry sauce.
Yield: 10 pancakes
1 pint fresh strawberries
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons brandy
1. Hull and rinse the strawberries.
2. In a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the strawberries with the sugar and the brandy until finely chopped.
3. Cook the strawberry puree in a medium saucepan, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice and serve warm or cold.
Note: This method of preparation enhances the freshness of the fruit because of the very short time of cooking. This simple but very delicious sauce is not limited to pancakes but can be served with crepes and with ice cream. Apricots, red plums and peaches can be substituted for the strawberries.
Yield: 2 cups.
Source: The Passover Gourmet
by Nina Rousso