Calico Yellow Cornbread
This cornbread has a rich taste and bright color which adds interest to the table. While mild chiles are used in the basic recipe, it is possible to substitute chopped jalapenos or other hot chiles for more bite. Feel free to experiment.
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup skim milk
2 Tablespoons corn oil or canola oil
1/3 cup cooked kernel corn
2 Tablespoons chopped green chiles
2 Tablespoons chopped red peppers or pimentos
1. Oil eight inch square baking pan.
2. Combine dry ingredients except for kernel corn and chiles.
3. Stir in milk, oil and eggs, mixing until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Blend in kernel corn and chiles.
5. Pour into oiled pan.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven at 400° F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown and wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.