Passover Chocolate Mousse Cake
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate,
plus an ounce or so of chocolate for shaving
1 cup unsalted butter or pareve margarine
teaspoon strong coffee,
(or 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
mixed with 1 teaspoon water)
3 Tablespoon KLP brandy or cherry liqueur
6 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
Tablespoons matza cake meal, plus additional for
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9" springform pan.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter (margarine) in the top of a double boiler. Add the coffee and brandy (liqueur). Remove from the heat and pour into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, use electric mixer to beat egg whites, gradually adding the sugar and continuing to beat until the whites are stiff, but not dry.
5. Fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate batter. Remove 1 1/2 cups of this batter and refrigerate. Fold the 2 Tablespoons matza cake meal into the remaining batter.
6. Sprinkle matza cake meal over the bottom and sides of a greased springform pan. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
completely, then spread the reserved refrigerated chocolate batter over the top
and decorate with chocolate shavings.
Makes 12 servings.
Source: "The Foods of
by Joan Nathan